You’ll be able to’t blame Martin Truex Jr. for trying forward.
The Monster Vitality NASCAR Cup Collection chief didn’t must win the pole place at Kansas Speedway, having already certified for the Playoff’s Spherical of eight with a victory two weeks in the past at Charlotte.
However by posting the quickest lap in Friday’s knockout qualifying session on the 1.5-mile observe, Truex received a leg up on a visit to the Championship four race at Homestead-Miami Speedway, as a result of the time trials at Kansas got here with a major bonus—first selection of pit stalls for the Oct. 29 Spherical of eight opener at Martinsville Speedway.
For the document, Truex ran the quickest lap of the afternoon within the ultimate spherical of qualifying for Sunday’s Hollywood On line casino 400 (on NBCSN at three p.m. ET), masking the space in 28.719 seconds (188.029 mph) to beat Kevin Harvick (187.682 mph) for the highest beginning spot by .053 seconds.
However Truex needed to push his automobile to the restrict within the ultimate spherical to earn his third Coors Mild Pole Award of the season, his second at Kansas and the 15th of his profession.
“I used to be shaking a bit of—I’m not going to lie,” Truex mentioned. “My coronary heart was beating. It will get the adrenaline going so excessive to place down a lap like that, to go the quickest you’ve gone all day in that ultimate spherical.
“We put all of it collectively. We received the steadiness higher, and I stepped up and put it on the road on the market, and it caught. The dedication stage was excessive, and the automobile dealt with it effectively. That’s all the time a very good mixture.”
Ryan Blaney certified third however his time was later withdrawn after his automobile failed put up qualifying inspection after NASCAR mentioned the bundle tray didn’t keep its unique form. After the revised lineup Matt Kenseth, Denny Hamlin and Daniel Suarez spherical out the highest 5. Erik Jones and Kyle Busch will begin sixth and seventh after the Blaney penalty leaving just one Ford within the prime seven surrounded by Toyotas.
As a result of qualifying at Martinsville is on the identical day because the race, pit choice on the .526-mile brief observe was tied to qualifying at Kansas, the place the No. 1 pit stall provides a driver unfettered egress from pit roa
“It was undoubtedly on our minds,” mentioned Truex, who has gained a series-best six races in a dream season for the No. 78 Furnishings Row Racing crew. “We talked about it. It was like ‘It’d be fairly good to go to Martinsville and have the No. 1 pit stall.’
“It was undoubtedly on our minds, however I don’t know if it actually performed into how we received the job accomplished or not. But it surely was undoubtedly good timing, greater than something, as a result of that’s going to be big for us going into the Spherical of eight subsequent week.”
Harvick, the 2014 sequence champion described his qualifying session as “three sketchy laps,” however feels he has a aggressive automobile for the race that may trim the Playoff discipline from 12 drivers to eight.
“I feel we now have a automobile that may be able to staying up there and hopefully having an opportunity to win the race on the finish,” Harvick mentioned. “It’s a very good begin to the weekend. That’s half the battle if you’re attempting to gather stage factors within the first stage and get pit stall choice and attempt to achieve all the benefits that you could on Friday.
“That’s one thing that our crew did a very good job at this yr. I really feel like our automobiles are lots quicker from the start of the yr on the mile-and-a-half race tracks, and we’re on the sport. It’s been a enjoyable few weeks.”
Seven-time champion Jimmie Johnson, who at present leads Kyle Busch by seven factors for the ultimate spot within the Spherical of eight, and can begin 13th after lacking the ultimate spherical by .zero20 seconds. Playoff driver Jamie McMurray certified ninth within the quickest Chevrolet.
Playoff drivers Kyle Larson and Chase Elliott will begin 13th and 14th, respectively (after the Blaney penalty). Ricky Stenhouse Jr., the one Playoff driver who did not make the second spherical, will take the inexperienced flag from 24th.
Truex needed to push his automobile to the restrict within the ultimate spherical to earn his third Coors Mild Pole Award of the season
Monster Vitality NASCAR Cup Collection Qualifying Outcomes Hollywood On line casino 400
Kansas Metropolis, Kansas
Friday, October 20, 2017
1. (78) Martin Truex Jr. (P), Toyota, 188.029 mph.
2. (four) Kevin Harvick (P), Ford, 187.682 mph.
three. (21) Ryan Blaney (P), Ford, 187.617 mph.
three. (20) Matt Kenseth (P), Toyota, 187.604 mph.
four. (11) Denny Hamlin (P), Toyota, 187.461 mph.
5. (19) Daniel Suarez #, Toyota, 186.909 mph.
6. (77) Erik Jones #, Toyota, 186.716 mph.
7. (18) Kyle Busch (P), Toyota, 186.329 mph.
eight. (1) Jamie McMurray (P), Chevrolet, 185.637 mph.
9. (14) Clint Bowyer, Ford, 185.599 mph.
10. (2) Brad Keselowski (P), Ford, 184.849 mph.
11. (three) Austin Dillon, Chevrolet, 184.093 mph.
12. (48) Jimmie Johnson (P), Chevrolet, 185.957 mph.
13. (42) Kyle Larson (P), Chevrolet, 185.880 mph.
14. (24) Chase Elliott (P), Chevrolet, 185.765 mph.
15. (41) Kurt Busch, Ford, 185.274 mph.
16. (95) Michael McDowell, Chevrolet, 185.185 mph.
17. (22) Joey Logano, Ford, 184.976 mph.
18. (31) Ryan Newman, Chevrolet, 184.970 mph.
19. (88) Dale Earnhardt Jr., Chevrolet, 184.824 mph.
20. (37) Chris Buescher, Chevrolet, 184.679 mph.
21. (5) Kasey Kahne, Chevrolet, 184.533 mph.
22. (10) Danica Patrick, Ford, 184.496 mph.
23. (27) Paul Menard, Chevrolet, 184.212 mph.
24. (17) Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (P), Ford, 183.542 mph.
25. (43) Aric Almirola, Ford, 183.492 mph.
26. (47) AJ Allmendinger, Chevrolet, 182.723 mph.
27. (38) David Ragan, Ford, 182.zero88 mph.
28. (6) Trevor Bayne, Ford, 182.063 mph.
29. (13) Ty Dillon #, Chevrolet, 181.928 mph.
30. (32) Matt DiBenedetto, Ford, 181.830 mph.
31. (34) Landon Cassill, Ford, 179.146 mph.
32. (83) Brett Moffitt(i), Toyota, 179.110 mph.
33. (55) Grey Gaulding #, Toyota, 178.660 mph.
34. (23) Corey LaJoie #, Toyota, 178.601 mph.
35. (72) Cole Whitt, Chevrolet, 178.542 mph.
36. (51) BJ McLeod(i), Chevrolet, 177.667 mph.
37. (15) Reed Sorenson, Chevrolet, 177.369 mph.
38. (33) Jeffrey Earnhardt, Chevrolet, 176.875 mph.
39. (00) Derrike Cope, Chevrolet, zero.000 mph.
40. (21) Ryan Blaney (P), Ford, DNQ
It seems your Internet browser is just not configured to show PDF information. Obtain adobe Acrobat or click on right here to obtain the PDF file.