Journeyman Jeremy Clements and his small staff topped big-name race organizations Sunday to clinch a first-ever victory in 256 NASCAR Xfinity Collection begins.
On the second-to-last lap of the Johnsonville 180 at Highway America, Clements tried to move Matt Tifft for the lead. He wheeled his Chevrolet to the within of Tifft’s Toyota Camry sending each of them spinning. Clements fired his automotive again up quicker than Tifft and seized the lead headed into the ultimate go-around. From there, the 32-year-old Xfinity Collection veteran cruised to victory lane, ending 5.802 seconds forward of runner-up Michael Annett.
Clements, who co-owns Clements Racing out of Spartanburg, South Carolina, together with his father Tony Clements, was working in a Chevrolet that was in-built 2008. With the victory, he earned a berth within the NASCAR Xfinity Collection playoffs.
“I am extraordinarily happy proper now, and it looks like a dream,” mentioned Clements, who began 24th within the 40-car subject.
Tifft completed third. The 21-year-old Joe Gibbs Racing driver mentioned he was battling a unfastened automotive within the braking zones and realized that Clements would pose a tricky problem, since he had brisker tires.
Gallery: NASCAR at Highway America, Sunday, Aug. 27, 2017
Tifft led six laps towards the top of the race earlier than the incident with Clements, who made his closing pit cease on Lap 29.
“I want we may have raced for the white flag and been in a position to battle it out a bit of bit extra,” mentioned Tifft, who made his closing pit cease on Lap 21 within the No. 19 Toyota.
“It is humorous how issues work. How at Mid-Ohio you could be thrilled with a third-place end and also you’re upset about it right here. All you are able to do is carry on attempting to have nice runs and sooner or later it really works out for you.”
The duty was not a easy one for Clements, who held the race lead for a handful of laps when the leaders pitted early within the third stage and he was out in entrance for the one which mattered most within the 45-lap occasion.
“I used to be licking my chops,” Clements mentioned. “I used to be simply so excited, I could not consider that the (win) was proper there for me to get.
“I used to be actually beating a number of guys out of these final two corners. Particularly the final nook; I may get in actually deep. That is the place I believed I may move (Tifft) at. I ought to have possibly been a bit of extra affected person. Nevertheless it was approaching the final lap. He is in all probability mad although, and I am sorry to him.”
Sports activities automotive standout James Davison was within the improper place on the improper time on the ultimate lap of the second stage. Davison led the primary 11 laps of the race however tagged the retaining wall in flip 6 on Lap 19 and sustained extreme harm on the No. 20 Toyota that pressured the Australian to the storage. Davison, driving for Joe Gibbs Racing in his third XFINITY Collection begin, received Stage 1 and led a race-high 11 laps.
Justin Marks overcame harm to his automotive sustained on the finish of Stage 2 in a collision with Ross Chastain to complete fourth. Brendan Gaughan got here in fifth. William Byron, Blake Koch, Cole Custer, Casey Mears and Parker Kligerman rounded out the highest 10.
Daniel Hemric received the second stage, led 10 laps and completed 11th general.
“I can’t consider it,” Clements mentioned. “I’m simply, is that is actual?”
The NASCAR Xfinity Collection heads to Darlington Raceway, Saturday, Sept. 2.
NASCAR Xfinity Collection Race Outcomes Johnsonville 180
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
Sunday, August 27, 2017
1. (24) Jeremy Clements, Chevrolet, 45.
2. (17) Michael Annett, Chevrolet, 45.
three. (13) Matt Tifft #, Toyota, 45.
four. (5) Justin Marks, Chevrolet, 45.
5. (18) Brendan Gaughan, Chevrolet, 45.
6. (6) William Byron #, Chevrolet, 45.
7. (15) Blake Koch, Chevrolet, 45.
eight. (12) Cole Custer #, Ford, 45.
9. (28) Casey Mears, Ford, 45.
10. (39) Parker Kligerman(i), Chevrolet, 45.
11. (7) Justin Allgaier, Chevrolet, 45.
12. (33) Josh Bilicki, Chevrolet, 45.
13. (19) Ross Chastain, Chevrolet, 45.
14. (three) Elliott Sadler, Chevrolet, 45.
15. (11) Daniel Hemric #, Chevrolet, 45.
16. (1) Austin Cindric(i), Ford, 45.
17. (20) JJ Yeley, Toyota, 45.
18. (eight) Ben Kennedy #, Chevrolet, 45.
19. (four) Christopher Bell(i), Toyota, 45.
20. (21) Ryan Sieg, Chevrolet, 45.
21. (27) Ryan Ellis, Chevrolet, 45.
22. (16) Dakoda Armstrong, Toyota, 45.
23. (9) Scott Lagasse Jr., Chevrolet, 45.
24. (26) Spencer Gallagher #, Chevrolet, 45.
25. (22) Brandon Jones, Chevrolet, 45.
26. (35) Dexter Bean, Chevrolet, 45.
27. (29) Garrett Smithley, Chevrolet, 45.
28. (30) David Starr, Chevrolet, 45.
29. (40) Nicolas Hammann, Dodge, 44.
30. (37) John Graham, Chevrolet, 44.
31. (10) Brennan Poole, Chevrolet, 44.
32. (25) Joey Gase, Chevrolet, 43.
33. (23) Dylan Lupton, Toyota, 42.
34. (36) Stephen Younger, Chevrolet, 42.
35. (14) Ryan Reed, Ford, Accident, 36.
36. (34) Tim Cowen, Dodge, Accident, 35.
37. (2) James Davison, Toyota, Accident, 20.
38. (32) Sheldon Creed, Chevrolet, Vibration, 18.
39. (38) Ernie Francis Jr., Toyota, Engine, 16.
40. (31) Jeff Inexperienced, Chevrolet, Vibration, 2.
Common Pace of Race Winner: 82.25 mph.
Time of Race: 02 Hrs, 12 Minutes, 53 Secs. Margin of Victory: 5.802 Seconds.
Warning Flags: four for eight laps.
Lead Adjustments: 9 amongst eight drivers.
Lap Leaders: A. Cindric(i) zero; J. Davison 1-11; B. Poole 12; E. Sadler 13-16; D. Hemric # 17-26; A. Cindric(i) 27; J. Clements 28-35; M. Annett 36-37; M. Tifft # 38-43; J. Clements 44-45.
Leaders Abstract (Driver, Instances Lead, Laps Led): J. Davison 1 time for 11 laps; D. Hemric # 1 time for 10 laps; J. Clements 2 instances for 10 laps; M. Tifft # 1 time for six laps; E. Sadler 1 time for four laps; M. Annett 1 time for two laps; A. Cindric(i) 1 time for 1 lap; B. Poole 1 time for 1 lap.
Stage #1 High Ten: 20,42,22,48,7,16,19,9,18,01
Stage #2 High Ten: 21,2,1,7,14,19,51,62,98,11
It seems your Internet browser isn’t configured to show PDF information. Obtain adobe Acrobat or click on right here to obtain the PDF file.